vents are looking great Dean!! How much of a clearance problem was there with the engine under the front? I would realy like to know this because there's not much differance in the monte carlo front end i'm planning to use.
I used a van motor mount (shorter mount) the bottom of the carb is about even with the body so I am building a custom scoop both for clearance and to help with cooling. Be aware that to get my height the tube frame mounts under the S10 cradle (see 3rd frame image) it helps the engine sit lower in the body.
In Michigan we have to do a built title. But a 4.3 is just a 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off so a small block will fit the only problem might be the radiator but I got all the power I wanted with the 4.3 the car is only 1500 pounds after all.
There's more room than you think but you have to move the front firewall back (a lot) I am also building a custom dash. I have incorporated a 5 inch body lift and a widened the passenger area into my design as well as body mounts to the frame front and rear (so no butt sag) at the moment I am working on the rear of the body molding in a cut down fiberglass bumper from a 1970 Nova and Firebird tail lights will post pics as I finish the mods.
Got some work done on my bumper today since I am using a full frame I decided to build a fiberglass bumper that looks a little more like a factory car as I can put a steel bumper behind it.
I started with a fiberglass bumper from a 1970 chevy nova cut the ends off and molded it into the body its just roughed in right now but I got the result I was looking for now I just have to build the mounts for the bumper rubber and finish the fiberglass work.
Post by sselfinflicted on Mar 7, 2011 5:09:59 GMT -5
Dean, also working on a front engine car but built frame from scratch. Used 2x3 square channel. back halfed the frame rails from comp. engeneering, with there 4 link frame rails to receive the 9" ford rear. A mustangII frame in the mid to late 70s worked perfect to put a small block 355cie in the space. pushed the motor back in the hole after cutting a hood in the front. 350turbo trans with a brake 411 gears. layed a corvett radiator in at an angle and luvered the head lite covers to receive air thru them.93 vette radiator worked well. Now working on sumping the floor 2'' for head room on the roll cage. Project is about 50% complete and am still working on it. I'd hope to be Dragracing it toward the end of the season this year. should be a helluv a ride.
Glad to hear my project is helping others try this as to getting air flow to the radiator I am using a custom one out of aluminum and a grill from a Mercury with headlights from an 08 Montana it's really going to change the look of the front though.
Thanks Skip, I had planned to round everything I got the buckets made and mounted for my tail lights now I just have to blend everything into the rear deck with a look I like sometimes I think that's the hardest part. I will post some pic's as soon as my kid brings my camera back, now my next challenge I think it will be a convertible I will be using a top frame from an MGB with parts from a Lebaron convertible top as well.
Thanks Bob been working a lot so I don't get to work on it as much as I would like. I did get out today and finished the passenger side vent so now its time to figure out if I can make the convertible I want I will post some pics if I get it to work.
I used a 95 s10 front cradle I cut it off just behind the engine then I built a custom frame the rest of the way back out of 2 inch 1/4 inch wall square tube the rear end is out of a 97 4wd jimmy (so I could have rear disc brakes and posi) then I set up a four link coil over shock rear suspension the new rear frame had to mount under the s10 cradle and use 3 inch lowering spindles as well as cut 1 coil from the front springs.
This was the only way to get a ride height that would work I also built a 5 inch lift into the body and had to move the front firewall back a large amount to give me the engine space, I built the frame as a pan similar to the VW so the floor and tunnel are all part of the frame both to make mounting and removing the body easier.
Now steering I was going to use a shortened rack and pinion but decided I wanted to be able to use stock parts in case I ever needed repairs away from home so I got a little crazy and went with right hand drive by doing this I could use a power rack and pinion out of an 05 Chevy Aveo and outer tie rod ends from a Mercedes my rack then fit like a glove.
My power brake booster and pedal assembly both came from the 05 Aveo as well. I built a square tunnel and I am using the auto shifter out of a 72 Corvette that's everything that comes to mind if you have any questions just post and I will try to answer them.
Finally got back to work I did decide to go with right hand drive it made the steering fit much better. I have decided to go with the older style Corvette look on the rear window I got the rear deck complete now (just need another couple layers of glass ) I am currently fiberglassing the new roof I cut up 2 GT2 roofs and fiberglassed them together as soon as I finish that I will install the mounts for the rear window and the Wing.
horen2tas: Man, you are friggin' scarry! While I'm up here dropping the gas tank on RootBeer to get to the shift rod bushing & change it, you're building whole worlds beyond belief!
Sept 5, 2014 0:13:22 GMT -5
victorhugo: THANKS MAN,IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN READY MONTHS AGO LOL,BUT I´M REALLY LAZY AND I AM NOT FINISHED WITH THE WIRE HARNESS YET. I AM STILL COLLECTING PARTS, LOL ITS A MONEY PIT,BUT I THINK WHEN ITS READY IT´LL BE WORTH IT.
Dec 17, 2014 5:13:09 GMT -5